Questions and Answers


Record suspensions - once referred to as “pardons” - allow people who were convicted of a criminal offence but who have completed their sentence and are law-abiding citizens to have the criminal conviction removed from their record. That means any search of the Canadian Police Information Centre won’t show that you had a criminal record or were issued a record suspension. The Parole Board of Canada charges $631 to process a record suspension application and though you don’t need a lawyer to apply, Kelly Greenway Bruce can ensure you get the most out of that investment.

For starters, we will determine if you’re eligible for a record suspension. The eligibility timeline varies according to the charge, such as five years for a summary conviction and 10 years for an indictable conviction. We will also ensure that you provide the proper information - fingerprints, court documents and police checks - to prevent potential delays in the processing of your application.

A record suspension removes obstacles that can impact your ability to get a job, be bonded or sub-contracted, volunteer or rent property. A criminal record can impact child custody and visitation rights as well as applications for refugee status, landed status and citizenship.
Count on Kelly Greenway Bruce to help you achieve the peace of mind that comes with this new chapter in your life.


Back to Criminal Law Questions and Answers >>

The above information is of a general nature and is not intended to provide legal opinions. Readers should seek professional legal advice on the particular issues which concern them. We would be pleased to elaborate on any information contained above and how it may apply to your specific circumstances.

Free Case Evaluations

Learn More