Questions and Answers


Making a Power of Attorney for Personal Care or Continuing Power of Attorney for Property is voluntary but there are many good reasons to make both, regardless of your age and financial circumstances.

A Power of Attorney or POA is sometimes referred to as a ‘living will,’ and is a legal document that lets you choose a person you trust to make decisions on your behalf if you one day become mentally or physically incapacitated – even temporarily – perhaps as the result of an accident or dementia. A POA for Personal Care helps ensure your wishes about the type of medical care you’d receive should you become ill or injured are respected. It also reduces potential conflict among your loved ones as to who has the power to make the important decisions for you under the Health Care Consent Act.

A Continuing POA for Property gives someone you trust the power to make decisions about your assets, including your finances, home and possessions at a time when you are unable to do so yourself. It ensures your commitments are met and your needs looked after, from servicing your mortgage or other living expenses to ensuring your children can attend university as you planned.

The lawyers at Kelly Greenway Bruce respect that both documents are very personal and sensitive. They will help you understand your options and ensure your POAs reflect your unique obligations and wishes.


Back to Wills, Power of Attorney & Estate Questions and Answers >>

The above information is of a general nature and is not intended to provide legal opinions. Readers should seek professional legal advice on the particular issues which concern them. We would be pleased to elaborate on any information contained above and how it may apply to your specific circumstances.


Free Case Evaluations

Learn More