Questions and Answers


If you do not have Powers of Attorney and you become incapacitated, the "Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee" will be in charge of administering your affairs. Although it is possible for a relative to apply to be your guardian, this application can be very costly and requires extensive legal documentation.

There are two types of Powers of Attorney:

A Continuing Power of Attorney for Property enables you to appoint a relative, friend or other person, who would be authorized to act on your behalf in financial matters, if you are unable to look after your affairs because of circumstances such as illness or injury.

A Power of Attorney for Personal Care enables you to appoint a relative, friend or other person to make decisions about your personal care, should you become unable to do so yourself. These decisions might include living arrangements and health care.



Back to Wills, Power of Attorney & Estate Questions and Answers >>

The above information is of a general nature and is not intended to provide legal opinions. Readers should seek professional legal advice on the particular issues which concern them. We would be pleased to elaborate on any information contained above and how it may apply to your specific circumstances.


Free Case Evaluations

Learn More